The 457 Visa is a temporary skilled worker visa in Australia. Temporary work Visa Australia allows local and overseas employers to sponsor overseas skilled workers to work in Australia on the temporary basis. The Subclass 457 grants the entry of family members of the visa holders. If a person qualifies 457 visa then he/she may enter or leave the Australia multiple times till the time visa is valid.
Note: From 18 March 2018, the Temporary work visa is abolished and exchanged with the entirely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.
For being eligible to apply under 457 visa Australia , the applicant must fulfill the below-given requirements:
- Applicant must receive sponsorship from the employer.
- You must have the skills, qualification, experience related to the occupation you have been nominated.
- You should be able to qualify the registration or relevant licenses requirements that are required for the nominated position.
Benefits of the 457 Visa
- The 457 visa is a temporary visa allows an applicant to stay in Australia for the period of four years.
- You can work with your employer and live in Australia for the designated period.
- You can bring your family members along with you during your stay in Australia.
- You may travel in and outside of Australia till the time visa is valid.
457 Visa Changes 2018
As per the Australian Government changes, Temporary Skilled Work Visa (Subclass 457) has been replaced by the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (TSS). The new Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (TSS) is a segment of the Government’s important changes in order to make the integrity and quality of Australia’s temporary and permanent employer sponsored skilled migration programs strong.
The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (TSS) is comprised of two streams
- The Short-term is for the period of two years with the single visa renewal option.
- The medium-term is for the duration of four years with the visa renewal option and it may lead to the Australian PR after the period of three years.
The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa with new requirements
- New & more specific occupation lists which fulfills the skill gap in the Australian labour market
- Minimum two years of work experience in the chosen skilled occupation required for visa applicants
- Employers must offer a salary amount to the foreign workers as per the Australian market salary rate and also qualify the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) which make sure that the international skilled workers must not be underpaid
- Labour market testing is mandatory, unless any international obligation applies
- There will be a capacity for only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-Term stream
- There will be a capacity for visa renewal onshore and a permanent residence pathway after three years under the Medium-Term stream
- The permanent residency time period for eligibility will be extended from two to three years
- There will be a non-discriminatory workforce test to make sure that NO employers are discriminating against Australian workers
- A contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund is required to be paid
- The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will collect Tax File Numbers and data will be matched with the Australian Tax Office’s records
- Penal clearance certificates are Mandatory to be provided.
Strengthening Eligibility requirements for Employer Sponsored Permanent Skilled Visas
- Strict English language requirements
- Minimum three years work experience required for visa applicants
- Applicants must be below the age of 45 at the time of application
- A contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund must be paid
- Employers must offer a salary amount to the foreign workers as per the Australian market salary rate and also qualify the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT).